Monday, January 26, 2009

MESSAGE MONDAYS: Cant give nothing away 'til you got yo own...

Before I went to work today I had planned on writing about something but Im glad I waited until after work to write (even if its due to laziness.) I got a new message...

Let me paint the picture. Im a teller at Brinks (money management not house security.) What we do is basically a company, for instance McDonalds, collect their money for the day and send it to their account in the bank. The bank has hired us to interfere between this transaction. We take the companys money and verify checks, bill accountability, coins, and we check for counterfeit notes before the money goes to the bank. I work day shift. Day shift works with our main customer bank, Suntrust. Suntrust's main company customer was Publix. Publix left Suntrust today. So Brinks has less work. So we had to downsize. Be it I was one of the last people to get hired I was supposed to be layed off. Yet, my job offered to let me work night shift in one of the positions that had opened. This is where my message comes in hand...

While our manager had me and three others in the office explaining the situation he ended with the offer to me. One of my now ex-coworkers started to cry. She's a mother of two, a year older than me, and has a bad situation with her baby's father. Also, I think she had predicted this would happen and had asked to move to night shift (where the situation doesnt effect them because night shift works with other banks.) All I have to take care of is myself. So immediately I considered passing on the opportunity to let this lady have the job since she has other mouths to feed. Yet, as my boss I continuously talked, I thought about it and decided not to. WHy...

Well, all I have to take care of is myself. Yet, if I gave up the opportunity I wouldnt be able to take care of myself. At this position in my life I have much of nothing except a dream. I mean Im making connects I wont speak of, but nothings set in stone. So I have nothing. Therefore, I wasnt in a position to pass it along. I realize as human we are all sensitive to others. Yet, in this moment of recession I feel we have to secure our personal situations before we can help out another. Otherwise, you will be in that same situation. When my music makes it, I will be amongst the celebrities and fortunate people volunteering and helping others. I feel thats an obligation. But now all I can do is give a homeless man a dollar....because I have a dollar. I cant give away a job if I dont have another....people share but realize you cant give anything away until you have your own....peace.

4 comments:

Ice the Villain said...

You don't understand... these posts are HIGHLY anticipated homie. Good stuff!

FancyB said...

wow rico...this one hit home! i think i am one who is ready to assist and aid in the same areas i am lacking...i cant even help it! but you got it all put together so right! love it!

Anonymous said...

this shit is crazy cuz i feel like i've given to others and haven't had anything left for myself at times. i had come to the point where i had to be selfish for once. it's ironic as hell you wrote this cuz this is very recent.

good[e]. said...

good message. i like this one.