Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Who's Your Top 5???

SOOOO...this post is long overdue....anyways, Ive peeped on allhiphop.com that theyre asking artists to name their PERSONAL top 5 rappers as far as whom that artist feels are the best, most relatable to them, and etc...not the cliche' top 5....It made me think who is in my top 5...EVERYONE who has ever discussed rap has had this discussion and these are my picks....


5. Lauryn Hill

I know alot of you may find this as a weird choice because youve never heard Lauryn mentioned in top 5 MCs ever...but i feel like she is...HANDS DOWN, I would put her up toe to toe with just about 97% of the rappers i ve heard in my lifetime..her diction, delivery and wide vocabulary made her a standout whenever the Fugees rhymed and she also had the ability to drop science underneath it all. It also gave her flavor in between the soulful singing in her solo career. Her only problem is the miniscule amount of rap verses she provided. If anything I learned to use a wide array of vocabulary from her...

My personal fave of her rhyming: 'Mystery of Iniquity' off Unplugged 2.0


4. Cee-Lo

This guy here has been criminally underrated more than any rapper I know. He can straight out rap. His flow is unbelievable and he has a knack for preaching without sounding preachy. I believe his 2nd solo album 'Cee-lo Green....is the Soul Machine' is a MUTHAFUCKIN CLASSIC!!! Better than alot of 5 mics..really..it displays just about every flow and type of subject matter in rap andstill went thru fluently. He is what made Goodie Mob. Honestly, he is (if not the best) the second best in Dungeon Family. He helped build the definition of Down South music to me. Its soooo ATL. His only flaw was the ability to crossover...Alot of what im trying to get from him is his control of his high pitched voice..I too have a high pitch voice and can only dream of using it like he does..and his ability to drop knowledge...

My personal fave of his rhyming: 'The Experience' off Goodie Mob's Still Standing


3. Notorious B.I.G.

He probably had one of the top 3 voices in hip hop. It just grabs you. His lyrical prowess was unmatched yet, he still had the ability to crossover. I think he's one of the first to really show a great sense of 'swagger' in the game. Im trying to learn how he kept himself while he played the mainstream and underground fence...

My personal fave of his rhyming: 'Dead Wrong'



2. Jay-Z

Come on....Swagger? Check. Lyrics? Check. Flow? Check. Relateability? Check. This man has it all.....even the baddest chick in the game wearing his chain. he has dropped so many gems and mottos to live by. If I could take anything it would be his flow...only reason why he wouldnt be my number one is because he has been lazy on some verses...but he's put out enough material to almost cross those out...

My personal fave of his rhyming: 'Can i Live' off Reasonable Doubt



1. Andre 3000
This man is what I think rap should be. Unique. Creative. Lyrical. Swagger. Intelligent. Fun. Everything...Alot of my peers may argue that he's not relateable and that he's too weird or goes too far left. I beg to differ. I know way more people who are what he describes in his songs than I know who are gangsta gangsta. He's an average joe. His writing ability is unparalled. metaphors unheard of. Flow is so smooth and always on point. Idol. I once heard Jigga said that he was just trying to play Aristotle to Big's Socrates. Just trying to keep the BK, NY respect and philosophy in the game at a kingly matter such as big did. Thats how i feel about Andre. I want to play Aristotle to Dre's Socrates. Alot of rappers from ATL not holding the standards this man put upon my city...thats what I want to take from him..everything in my own way....
My personal fave of his rhyming: 'Babylon' from ATLiens....
Thats my PERSONAL fave...if you reading answer with your personal fave and why...I like to see where ppl heads at as far as influences and whom they think are the top and what makes them the top....post...

1 comment:

Ice the Villain said...

As much as I hate to say it, I couldn't possibly pick a top 5 right now, my favorites change every couple of weeks or when I put in one of my classic favorite albums and realize I forgot someone. I especially feel like Jay and Big should be in there, but you raise a VERY good point with your comments on Andre. And there's so much talent on the come up that I feel will knock a few of those cats out (Drake, Wale, us? lol) that I almost feel like if I "stamp" a top five then I'll be speaking much too soon.

Long story short, I'll co-sign Dre, Jay, and Big. I do REALLY love Lauryn but I feel like maybe I'm forgetting someone who would fit the spot a little better because of her short-lived career. I never really followed Cee-Lo heavy until Gnarls Barkley, so I can't really debate that one... great topic.